“ Walking is man’s best medicine “
Hippocrates of Kos 460BC – 377BC
“ The sovereign invigorator of the body is exercise,
and of all the exercises walking is the best “
Thomas Jefferson 1743 – 1826
“ An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day “
Henry David Thoreau 1817 – 1862
“ Everyday I walk myself into a state of well-being and
walk way from every illness “
Soren Aabye Kierkegaard 1813 – 1855
“ Walking is cheap, fun, safe and acceptable exercise “
Annie Edson Taylor 1838 – 1921
Walking is a weight bearing exercise, and one of the
most effective and perfect ways to maintain and
improve your health, fitness and overall well being.
Either you walk all day doing various tasks, or you
hike on hills, or you use a treadmill in the gym, or
you walk in nature, you will definitely reap all
health benefits and increase your activity levels.
In your middle years, that is between the ages of
forty five ( 45 ) and sixty five ( 65 ), you will need
to walk one and a half kilometre in fifteen ( 15 )
You will need to walk a total of three ( 3 ) kilometres
in half an hour.
Walking is low impact exercise, and it does not
require special expensive equipment.
It can be done at any time convenient to you during
the day, and all the year round indoors or outdoors.
You do not need to be especially fit or of a certain
age, and it does not require any special training.
You can walk alone or with company, and it is fun
and very interesting.
On top of all the above, walking is absolutely free.
The following are the reasons why you should start
going for a walk right away:
1) It reduces stress and encourages better sleep.
2) It reduces the risk of certain cancers, including
bowel and breast cancers.
3) It reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
4) It reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes.
5) It improves the blood circulation in the body.
6) It boosts the immune system.
7) It sharpens focus and concentration.
8) It improves the mood and total well being.
9) It fights chronic diseases.
10) It improves balance and co-ordination.
11) It encourages stronger bones.
12) It increases muscle strength and endurance.
13) It burns body fat and reduces total weight.
14) It reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke.
15) It keeps the heart and lungs fit.
16) It manages cholesterol and high blood pressure.
17) It helps with joint pains.
18) It controls various muscular pains.
19) It reduces death risk.
For best results walk a minimum of thirty ( 30 ) minutes
or more, at a moderate pace, every day preferably at the
To enjoy your walk, you will need the following:
a) Buy shoes made specifically for walking, so that you
can feel more comfortable and better supported.
b) Wear loose, comfortable and light clothes to suit
the weather at the time.
c) Choose the right course wisely when you walk outdoors,
to have good visibility and be safe during your walk.
If it is raining or it is very cold walk in a shopping mall.
d) Always carry with you a mobile phone, just in case.
e) Walk slowly for five ( 5 ) minutes to warm up, and
again another five ( 5 ) minutes at the end of your walk
to cool down.
f) Wear a pedometer to calculate your steps and distance.
g) When you return home, stretch your calf and thigh
muscles holding for twenty ( 20 ) seconds each stretch.
h) Always drink enough liquids before and after your
The Right Way
To walk correctly,
1) Walk tall, keeping your shoulders, neck and head up,
and looking forward.
2) Keep your stomach in and your torso upright.
3) Rotate your hips forward and backward without
4) Use short and quick steps without overstriding.
5) Lead with your heels and land smoothly.
6) Keep your elbows at ninety ( 90 ) degrees, and swing
your arms close to your body, while keeping your hands
Note that, you will burn more calories if you walk when
the weather is either cold or humid and warm;
and less when the weather is nice and cool.
To add more steps to your work day,
* Take always the stairs.
* Walk to the shops.
* Walk between sittings for a few minutes.
* Take a fifteen ( 15 ) minutes walk after dinner.
* If you work, take a walking lunch break.
Walking is a lifestyle exercise.
It can be done any time, anywhere during your daily
routines; and it is the simplest way to keep your body
and mind healthy.
Walking is a genuine, solid and very simple exercise
at the speed that suits you.
To collect all the health benefits, you only need a steady
and regular walking routine throughout your whole life.