As I have mentioned previously, I was born in
Athens to a very considerate family.
My father always tried to provide us with good
nutritional foods and my mother always cooked
the healthiest recipes using only olive oil.
Those years, we all led a very healthy life, the
Although my personal circumstances are completely
different now in relation to the sixties and
seventies, I still maintain my Greek style eating
healthy habits and lifestyle.
The Mediterranean Approach
Mediterranean Diet is a modern nutritional advice
motivated by the traditional diets of Greece, Spain
and Southern Italy.
According to research, the classic Mediterranean
diet reduces the risk of heart disease by lowering
blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
It also decreases cancer and diabetes dangers as
well as overall mortality.
It is considered one of the most healthy diets to adopt.
Moreover, it includes the whole traditional
Mediterranean lifestyle such as:
a) leisurely dining with family
b) dining as an entertainment
c) incorporating some physical activity
Actions Of Acceptance
1) Eat lots of fruits and vegetables during the day.
2) Eat whole grain bread, pasta and rice.
3) Eat a variety of fresh nuts, seeds and tahini.
4) Cook with virgin olive oil and eat it raw
in salads and food.
5) Use lots of herbs and spices on all foods.
6) Eat fish two to three times a week (not fried).
7) Eat poultry more often than red meat.
8) Eat 0% or 2% fat content dairy products.
9) Eat a fresh egg daily.
10) Use fresh chopped tomato in all cooking sauces.
11) Eat all pulses regularly.
12) If you drink alcohol, drink only moderate amounts
of red wine.
13) If you can have caffeine, drink boiled Greek coffee.
Avoid or Limit:
a) Processed foods.
b) Saturated fats.
c) Alcohol consumption.
d) Too much sugar.
It has been found that 1% of all Greeks living in the island of
Ikaria live beyond the age of ninety, while this longevity is
only 0.1% in other European countries.
Try to eat like a traditional Greek to reduce the risk
of most serious chronic diseases and early death.